Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sharing the Gospel Works When We Really Care About People

Hi Everyone!
 
Things are going well here in the Denver 4th ward, our recent convert Isauro just got the Aaronic priesthood this week, and he's still on fire for the gospel and is learning and progressing! It was actually a little surprising that it happened that quickly, because it was only 1 week after his confirmation and we hadn't really taught him a whole lot about the priesthood, but the Bishop took the initiative to pull him in for an interview before church and found him worthy and willing to hold the priesthood!

We'll probably try to have him bless the sacrament next week, it's always a great step in the progress of a new convert when they get more responsibility and are serving others! There's still a lot to do, like getting the ward focused on a re-activation plan instead of the missionaries working independently to find and baptize people, and we need some ward missionaries, but for the most part things are progressing nicely and we have lots of things to do!
 
This last week we realized the importance of salt in our food, because we didn't have any and the chicken quesadillas we made were severely lacking. Several verses of scripture came to mind about salt and savor, and as we forced down the tasteless food I thought about how great of a Sunday School example it could be, of how we're the salt of the earth and if we don't share the gospel (our savor) with people than their lives are bland and boring like a tasteless quesadilla.

Often we don't recognize how important the Gospel message is to us and those we care about, how much it can really bless people's lives and help them. I've realized that sharing the gospel naturally is a really hard thing to do, but it's possible when we really care about people.

In D&C 4, the Missionary Chapter of the D&C, the Lord tells us that "faith, hope, charity, and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualifies [us] for the work", and so when we share the gospel out of obligation instead of out of love, it's not natural and we lose friends.

One of the things our mission has been pushing is that we invite the members to think about someone either less active or non member who they know who could really benefit from having the Gospel in their lives, and then to pray for that person every day and pray for the opportunity to share the gospel with them. As we do that, it helps us love the person and have the correct motive for sharing the gospel with them, and when you do talk about it they'll feel that you're genuine and it won't damage the relationship even if they don't want to accept our message!
 
I'm so grateful to be a missionary, the Lord is teaching me so much and helping me become a better person. Sometimes I think back to my first few days in the MTC, or with my trainer, and think about how far I've come and how much more capable in the hands of the Lord I am now! The amazing thing about the Gospel is that we can always keep growing and progressing, learning from our mistakes as we repent and align our lives with God, I love the message we teach and I love being a messenger of the Lord on His errand! I love you all, I hope you have a great week!
 
Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment