Monday, January 3, 2011

Baptism for Isauro on Jan 15th

Hi Everyone!
 
This Sunday we had our first meeting in the Stake Center where they decided to move our ward, and I was really pleased with the attendance, most of the members decided to be obedient to our leaders and made the switch.

The Lord has helped a lot with that, and has helped us as we've visited and encouraged the members. After the block of meetings this Sunday, we had a lesson with our investigator Isauro, and we set a baptismal date for the 15th with him!

We're really excited, he's wanted to be baptized for a long time now but hasn't managed to quit smoking, but with the help of the Lord, some wonderful members and hard work he finally kicked the habit and is ready!

We'll be planning and preparing to make sure it's a spiritual highlight for him and he has the full support of the ward. It's been quite an experience for me personally to see how someone can be helped so much by the gospel and the atonement, breaking addictions he's had for 40 years and the change it's made in him, he's a completely different person now and radiates the spirit and the love of Christ!

It makes me happy to be a missionary and be able to witness that first hand, I've always heard stories but now it's something a little closer and personal!
 
Things are going great with my companion, since we already served together we know each other, so there hasn't been much of a transition or adjustment, and I've found that in the 9 months or so since I served with him we've both done some maturing and we have a lot more respect for each other and it makes for a really good working relationship.

I'm really excited for the potential this area has, and the things we can do in the next few weeks as we really put our minds to the task and dig into the work, nothing feels better as a missionary than working hard and productive and seeing the fruits of your labors, according to people's agency and God's will of course. I think we're going to see some miracles though in the next few weeks, I hope to have some good stories to tell soon. :)
 
On Thursday it finally decided to snow in Denver, and it dumped about 8 inches on us and brought a terrible cold front, with temperatures hovering around zero for a couple days. Unfortunately with the snow we couldn't drive the car, which for a Spanish missionary here basically means that the work goes on hold for a while, but we made the best of our situation and just walked the streets of Denver talking to people who would listen (mostly English people though, we don't have a high Spanish concentration), and made about 1 appointment and our dinner before it got too cold and dark to keep going.

Friday we went out to the car, the roads were a little more clear and I was more confident that my Houston driving habits wouldn't put us in a ditch, but we realized that the car battery had died because our lights were on! We couldn't find anyone with cables, so we had another long day on foot doing the same thing, and after our dinner appointment we had the Denver 4th South Elders give us a ride back with some cables and we spent about a half and hour getting it going, but it didn't work because their engine was so small.

I nearly froze my hands off in the snow as we were trying to get our car into an inclined parking spot, and wouldn't have made it except for a really nice college student who came at just the right time to give us a hand, a miracle sent from the Lord.
 
I'm so grateful to be a missionary, I hope you all have a great week!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment