Wednesday, November 17, 2010

After seven months, a transfer!

Hi Everyone!

I'm getting transferred tomorrow although I still don't know where! I'm really really excited, I love this area I'm in and I'm sad to leave but I feel like I've accomplished the work I was sent to do.

It's a strange feeling to realize that the Lord wanted me to come here the Rocky Mountains and serve the people in Spanish, that this is the place He's prepared and this is my specific mission, and although I never would have though of that possibility I would never trade it or give up the experiences now.

In this area especially I feel like I've been trained and developed by the Lord more than any other time in my life, I feel much more capable and confident to take on anything the Lord asks of me and I'm comfortable with myself and my standing with the Lord. It's a wonderful feeling, I hope to continue serving in that strain.
 
I'll be continuing to serve as a district leader, this time going to a new district where I might not know many of the Elders, it'll be an interesting experience but I'm excited to see what I can do to help out.

Because of so many big changes going on in the mission right now it's becoming more and more important that the district leaders step up and really lead and train the missionaries because in the midst of change missionaries either become stronger, better, and more obedient, or they get discouraged and become idle and problems develop.

I've been seeing that in my own area and district over the past month or so, it's challenging because of increased opposition, the key is understanding that increased blessings are gained as we overcome that opposition and move forward in faith. I think that'll be a focus of my trainings and leadership this next transfer.
 
This past week we came across a 19 year old youth who's been inactive for a long time but is starting to meet with the missionaries after getting into some trouble, but he's got his heart in the right place and it's been really fun to see the beginnings of the big changes he'll make in his life!

We're teaching him the Book of Mormon and helping him receive the power of reading the book and living by it's precepts. He's eating it all up, you can see the spiritual hunger he has and the way the spirit comes and touches him as he reads the words of the prophets. We'll be inviting him to play basketball with us and the other missionaries to fellowship him, it'll be fun. (As a side note, I haven't gotten much better at basketball, I much prefer soccer and other sports but with the snow pushing us indoors I've been forced to try again. :)
 
I'm so grateful for the opportunity of a mission! This is the best decision I've ever made, I love serving the Lord and serving His children! I've discovered that it's also the hardest thing I've ever done and in reflection I agree with the pioneer from the Martin handcart company who declared that the hardships they endured were the price to know God, and that he'd never trade that for anything. I'm so grateful to be here, we'll see what the Lord has in store for me during the next couple months!
 
Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment