Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Brand New Comp, an Involved Branch President, and Killing Blood Sucking Mini-Cockroaches

Howdy Everyone!

Big changes are here, and I'm not talking about saying howdy instead of Hi this time!!!

I'm going to be training a brand new missionary, who's coming from 3 weeks in the MTC (already fluent in Spanish and English), and I'll be picking him up on Thursday! I'm SUPER excited, this is exactly the change that this area needs and it's what I've been hoping and praying for during the last few weeks!!!

The two branches we work in are on the point of exploding in the missionary work, and I think my new companion might just be able to catalyze that change!

We're going to be going on splits tonight with the branch president in Carbondale, to visit a bunch of inactive members in the Glenwood area (our biggest part). The President is finally making some real effort to help us get the inactives back, that after a meeting where we'd asked him before-hand to pray and ask for inspiration for what we need to do with the branch, and so now we have the priesthood keys in charge and I think it'll make all the difference.

Pray for us, a lot's going to be happening in the next few weeks and with the Lord's help we'll see some miracles!

We've gotten the first 4 lessons now of the 8, which are basically to focus us on the important aspects of the work. We've learned about our purpose, the role of the spirit and the Book of Mormon in conversion, and have been having role plays to practice what we're learning. It's nothing new or revolutional, but I'm learning a lot about how to be more focused on teaching people instead of teaching lessons, and I'm realizing more the importance of charity and the spirit in teaching.

Unfortunately, because I'm staying I can't talk about the bedbugs yet, so that nobody freaks out because we've had them in our apartment for a while and the entire apartment building will be sprayed on Friday.

I suppose I'll have to talk about the mini-cockroach looking things that suck your blood at night and that the fact that the only chemical powerful enough to get rid of them completely is DHT, the one that was made illegal in the 60's, but since I don't want to scare anyone I'll hold off for a while.

Then again, I'll be sending pictures soon and you'll see for yourselves, so it won't be much longer I'll bet. :) In reality though, we do have bedbugs but it's not because we live in a dirty place, they're just hard to control pests that even infested the Rockefeller theatre in New York and have been going around the apartments in our mission as well.

The worst of it is over though, they've already sprayed once and it helped, and now they'll be spraying the entire building about 5 different times to get them out completely. Kinda makes me feel like a foreign missionary though! :)

Things are going great here, I'm really excited for the change and I love the way the Lord works to prepare members, missionaries and areas for His own purposes, in ways that we don't always comprehend. I'm so grateful to be a missionary, I know that this church is true and I know that this is truly the Lord's work! Keep us in your prayers, have a great week!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment