Thursday, June 24, 2010

Slightly Drunk Rich People

Hi Everyone!

This weekend was the first time we've done any work in the downtown Aspen area, and it was an interesting experience! It was our luck that the Saturday we had planned to do our tracting and prostlyting in Aspen coincided with the Food and Wine Festival that attracts rich people from all over, and so we had a lot of empty houses and slightly drunk rich people! (Aspen is always full of rich people, but usually they're in a better frame of mind) I've decided that I never want to live a lavish lifestyle with everything I own being super expensive and luxurious, after seeing what it does to people and how it completely takes people's focus off of God, I'd much rather live in a trailer park comfortably and have a Christ-centered, family-oriented life.

We talked with a few Jews, it was funny how the more expensive the places we tracted got, the more doors had the little sideways piece of wood with the little torah quotes rolled up inside (I forget what they're called, could I get some help on that Mom?). One was a kid about our age who told us he was Jewish, and I was like "Man, that's so cool! My whole family is Jewish and I grew up celebrating all the Holy Days!" I asked him if they practiced their religion much, and he basically said that they didn't practice or believe much, it was just traditions handed down in their family. Ugh! It's annoying, I really want to talk to a Jew who would actually appreciate the significance of Elijah appearing at the Kirtland temple on Passover to give the sealing keys to Joseph Smith (hearts of the children to their fathers), and the golden plates being received on Rosh Hashanah, with Jews around the world blowing rams horns to usher in the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. I wonder if I'll ever have the opportunity to teach someone of that faith, I would love the chance to be able to explain the truths of the Restored Gospel in the context of the ancient covenant people!

We're starting to see some referrals and some organization starting with the Aspen branch, I think we'll have a lot of success really soon coming from the members there. We're helping them implement the Ward Missionary Process (by the way, if any of you don't know what that is, talk to your local missionaries about it and get educated on it, because the 1st presidency and council of the 12 have said that it's the process by which the church will do missionary work till the Savior comes for the second time). The field is white here, and with the help of the members we're going to break into even Aspen (where they have the winter X-Games) and bring people to the gospel. :)

I love being a missionary and I love the Gospel! I'm so grateful for the knowledge and blessings the Lord has given me, and also for the opportunity I have now to give back and share it with others! I hope you all have a great week!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment