Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baptism Date Set on First Visit

Hi Everyone!

I'm with my new companion now, Elder Acevedo, who was born in Mexico but raised in Utah, so he's fluent in Spanish and English. He's a soccer player, he played for Orem high school and was ranked in the top 20 in Utah for his age-group. He's been on his mission the same time as me, although I spent 6 more weeks in the MTC, but he's learned a lot and is an excellent teacher. We're looking to take a fresh start and work really hard, the field is white already to harvest and we're in a position to take full advantage of it.

This week so far (so 2 days of working) we've had 9 hours of tracting and 12 lessons, which is the equivalent of 21 hours of work. We're motivated and working hard, so the Lord is opening doors for us and we're finding a lot of new people to teach. Probably the highlight of the week was yesterday, while we were tracting, one of the doors we got into. I did the door approach, and talked about why there are so many churches in the world today, and how confusing it is. The man became curious and decided to let us in so we could teach him about how to find out which church was true, and how all of the other churches came about anyway, so we got in and started teaching. He was so solid, he actually started teaching back principles like the apostasy, and he grasped the logic that the original church of Christ fell, and so there needed to be a restoration! When we finished the lesson, we asked him what it would mean if it were all true, and then challenged him to be baptized! He accepted, and we even set a date with him that we'd prepare him for! That was the highlight, but we've been teaching a lot of good lessons and the work is going forward really fast.

I love the mission, it's both the hardest and the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I love being close to God and having the guidance of the spirit, and more than anything helping to serve God's children! I hope you all have a great week, things are going great here and I wouldn't be anywhere else for anything!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment