Friday, July 16, 2010

Sprinter with the Yellow Shirt

Hi Everyone!

Things are still progressing slowly, we had a good meeting with the ward mission leader in Aspen and got him a little more trained on the missionary process, so hopefully we can use him to work effectively with the branch leadership, they don't respond as well to us.

We also had a successful activity which we got a lot of less-actives to and had good fellowshipping, and we're planning another one for next month!

Hopefully we can get the Spanish people to do what they do best, socialize! I think that's the key for fellowshipping and bringing people to the church, to give people friends and have a good experience there!

We got the news for transfers, and Elder Arangua and I will be together for another 6 weeks! I'm glad to stay in the area, I don't think my work's done here and I'm hoping we can get more things mobilized these next couple months!

Yesterday we went on splits with the English missionaries, and me and Elder Englund went tracting in some rich English areas. We met with almost zero success, and then as we were getting discouraged we found a tiny hidden trailer park filled with Spanish people, and immediately started having interesting experiences!

The first trailer the people saw us before we knocked on the door, and I actually saw a guy in a yellow shirt sprint across the main room to hide in the back! :D I think they thought we were immigration, and so no matter what we did they wouldn't talk to us.

Then, we ran into a super-catholic lady who wasn't interested, but we helped her move some tires to the car, and we left her with a pass-along card.

Then we talked to a kid about our age who had been in jail and was wondering about what was going to happen after this life, so we explained a little bit about it and also how we know (living prophets), and set a return appointment.

Then another guy invited us in and fed us watermelon, and we taught a great lesson about the restoration. It was almost unreal the difference in cultures and humility between the two places we tracted, after going all day being looked down at and treated like pests, we suddenly were the messengers of God and were treated with respect and attention.

I'm so glad I'm a Spanish missionary! The Lord really is merciful!

Well, I hope you all have a great week, I will here because I'm doing the Lord's work and He's blessing me so much for it! I love the gospel and I love the church! Until next week!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment