Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Two Homeless Guys at Safeway

Hi Everyone!

First off, thank you all so much for your prayers and support, the Lord hears and answers those prayers.

This week has been a little bit dull, in the sense that we've been teaching and finding people but all the ones we were finding and teaching the last couple weeks have dropped off the radar, and there isn't much progress. However, the Lord is merciful and there are still definitely some high points, albeit we don't have many forthcoming baptisms.

The first highlight of the week was on Sunday, where we didn't get any investigators to church and so we went out tracting for the 2 hours after sacrament meeting instead of going to Gospel Principles.

The English elders in our area (they both speak Spanish too though) were in the same situation so we split up and blitzed the area, so any English or Spanish we found would already have their respective missionaries, a lot of people get lost in the transfer of referrals.

Me and Elder Arangua, an elder from Chile, went tracting in a neighborhood with homes, and one of the first doors that answered a man let us in.

We taught the first lesson, but the cool thing was that all the kids were in there too, and the mom was in the attached kitchen listening, so we were able to teach the entire family!

Since Elder Arangua is a little newer to the mission, I got to take control of the lesson, and we brought the spirit and the whole family understood what we were teaching! (for some reason, kids seem to get it better than adults, I love teaching with kids there!)

We left them with a restoration pamphlet and the invitation to pray, and they seemed committed, unfortunately the husband works every day but Sunday so it's a week in between appointments, but I think if they really take the step of faith and pray about it, they'll really be able to progress.

Another highlight was yesterday, we made a stop at a Safeway to use the restroom, and while my companion was in there I was sitting at a little table near the restrooms figuring out what I needed to buy on p-day.

A homeless guy came out of the restrooms and was passing by me, but then he looked at me a little funny and come over to talk to me. We started talking about Jesus and about helping people, and then another homeless guy came out and joined in the conversation.

Before they had to leave, the first homeless guy told me why he'd come over to talk to me, he said that one time he'd been at a church and he'd been touched by an incredible feeling of peace, joy, and love, and when he walked out and saw me he felt the same feeling.

The spirit is incredible, I love being a missionary and having the blessing of God to have it with me in a more powerful way. The Lord truly blesses those that give their time and service to him, I love this work and I love being a missionary!

I hope you all have a great week, stay close to the Lord!

Love,
Elder Damon Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment